2.16.2011

Hot Cocoa with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream


I posted a recipe for Red Velvet Hot Cocoa with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream just before the holidays. Indulgent, rich, and absolutely delicious, I didn't think there was a better warm winter drink out there.

Then I got to thinking about one of my other favorite dessert flavor combinations - chocolate and peanut butter. And I was struck by a stroke of genius. How delicious it would be if I made peanut butter whipped cream to dollop onto good old-fashioned chocolate hot cocoa? Pretty much as soon as the idea was conceived, I rushed out to get all the necessary ingredients and got to experimenting.

The process is pretty similar to that of the Red Velvet version - just skip the food coloring and substitute warm peanut butter for cream cheese in the whipped cream. The recipe below will create about 4 cups of hot cocoa with plenty of whipped cream to spare. I suggest plopping a heavy scoop atop each cup to start, then refreshing your cocoa with more whipped cream as necessary.

If you're feeling particularly lazy, you could also use my Easiest Peanut Butter Cup Hot Chocolate recipe for the cocoa, then make a small batch of the Peanut Butter Whipped Cream to go on top!

This is really the perfect drink to get you through the cold winter months. Indulge on this sweet drink treat while the snow falls down outside and worry about working it off when the temperatures start to warm and the sun starts to shine on us a little bit longer each day!


Hot Cocoa with Peanut Butter Whipped Cream

Ingredients
  • 4 Tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 cups whole milk (if you want to go a little bit healthier, 1 or 2% milk would work as well)
  • Dash of water
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Directions

1. Place peanut butter in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on defrost for 20 second intervals until soft and slightly runny.
2. Beat heavy whipping cream, and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a bowl until just before peaks start to form, about 3 minutes.


3. Add the peanut butter and continue to beat until you've got peaks. Taste and add more sugar as needed, but be careful not to over-whip!


4. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk of over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, water, and the chocolate chips. Stir constantly.
5. Continue to stir over medium-high heat until the chocolate chips are fully melted. 
6. Remove from heat and serve in mugs with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Holy Crap!! Peanut butter whipped cream??? That sounds like heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm Yummy! Looks amazing, and I am so going to try this out! Thanks for sharing!

    Tiffany Layden-Ooley
    The Write Way!
    http://thewritewayz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair, I didn't think it could get any better than your red velvet hot cocoa. But this is just amazing. That peanut butter whipped cream...I wouldn't be able to stop eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH part of me is glad and sad at this recipe you posted!! wow it sounds so good its all i can think of right now :)

    Zoe

    http://blessedbeeapothecary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say that this cream would go with so many things - brownies and peanut butter cream .. mmmmmmm

    Thanks for the wonderful idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, you had me at hello.

    okay, its official. you should come live with me and make this on the daily. please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so I kinda think you're a genius. Peanut butter and chocolate is my absolute favourite dessert combination but I never would've thought to flavour a hot chocolate with them. Amazing! I'm going to have to give this a go in a few months, when it's not boiling here. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...