Red Velvet Hot Cocoa. Need I say more?
I saw the title for this recipe on Une-Deux Senses and knew I had to make this holiday drink. Then I saw the photos of the hot cocoa and knew there was no way I would not try this holiday drink as soon as possible. I quickly ran out to get all the necessary ingredients and fixed up two Red Velvet Hot Cocoas for myself and Mike that night. And then two more for me and my friend Autumn the next night. And then some for my family that weekend. And so now I've decided I have to share it with you. I wish I could take credit for this, but at the least I guess I can take credit for introducing you to yet another delightful way to indulge in red velvet - in hot cocoa form! Just be forewarned - this is a really rich and chocolatey drink and you can definitely use something other than whole milk if you want to go a bit less decadent and a bit more healthy! But if you'd prefer to go all out, it's a delicious and indulgent treat!
Red Velvet Hot Cocoa with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream
Original Recipes Retrieved from Une-Deux Senses
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 - 4 Tbsp whipped cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 cups whole milk
- Dash of water
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. red food coloring paste
1. Combine heavy cream and 1/4 cup of sugar in a standing mixer and whisk 3 to 4 minutes, just before peaks form.
2. Add cream cheese and whisk another two minutes. Taste and add more sugar or cream cheese as desired but be careful not to over-whip!
3. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk over medium high heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, water and chocolate chips and stir constantly.
4. When the chocolate chips are almost melted, add the food coloring paste and continue to stir until the chips are completely melted.
5. Serve in mugs with a dollop of cream cheese whipped cream on top. Enjoy!