12.30.2010

Almost No-Bake Pumpkin Cream Pie

I found this recipe on Joy the Baker's site and thought it the perfect way to finish off my last can of pumpkin puree. And as I always try to prolong the pumpkin season through the end of the holidays, I thought it was just about time for a pumpkin pie.

I didn't have all the cream cheese that the recipe called for, so I just added a bit more butter, as well as a little bit of brown sugar and some cinnamon to supplement the warm pumpkin flavors. I pretty much did my own thing loosely based upon the original recipe with what few ingredients I had - I used my estimation skills and made constant adjustments based on tastings rather like how a cook would do and definitely not a baker. Still the outcome was still extremely delicious and fairly similar to what the more stringent of recipe-followers would likely have produced. I also think the no-bake aspect allowed me a little more room for experimentation than if this thing had to go through the oven.

My only major recommendation is to skip the maple in the cream cheese. I hate maple, but if you're partial, go for it. If not, I'd substitute the syrup with some whipped cream cheese when making the whipped cream topping. It will surely be a delicious and flavorful way to finish off the pie sans-maple.

The other great thing about this pie is that, in addition to being super simple, it's not strictly seasonal. I could definitely see myself whipping this up in the spring or summer as a cool sweet treat. As long as you know where to find canned pumpkin, you should be able to find the rest of the ingredients with no problem the whole year through. I guess I'd compare it to an apple pie sundae - definitely great when apples are in their prime come the fall but a delicious staple the rest of the year too.

Visit Joy the Baker here for the full, original recipe. Enjoy! And sorry I don't have any photos of this delicious pie... Blogger and my computer seem to be teaming up against me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...