2.21.2011

A Week in Words and Pictures

Digby has developed yet another silly but cute habit: laying in our dresser drawers. He made a nice little bed for himself out of my sweatpants and I couldn't resist taking a shot of it. 



The one good thing about leaving work at 5:30 every night - I've been able to witness some really beautiful sunsets on my drive home. Unfortunately, I'm still not the best at photography while driving, but I'm working on it. Here are some of my latest attempts at capturing the gorgeous late winter sunsets while also operating a vehicle.





My seedlings have sprouted! I planted a bunch of herb and vegetable seeds just a few days ago and was overjoyed to see some signs of life. So I took out my camera and got to playing around a bit. I'm just worried that I may have planted a few too many mesclun green seeds in each container.




This weekend I finally had a chance to get back in the kitchen and make a decent meal for Mike and myself. After going to see The Company Men (which I highly recommend) on Saturday night, I made venison steak with balsamic roasted brussels sprouts, grapes, and red onion. Delicious and nutritious and colorful too!



I also stopped by Alisa Burke's blog and came across the following quote from Eleonora Duse:

If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy,
if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you,
 if the simple things have a message that you understand,
rejoice, for your soul is alive.

In addition to reminding me of all the pleasures of early spring, it makes me grateful that I am the type of person to find wonder in such things (and maybe it also explains why I'm moved to risk my life to take photos of the sunset while driving). I truly feel sorry for people who fail to take pleasure in all the offerings of nature with which we are constantly surrounded. There are so many sources of delightfully free beauty and joy at our fingertips, if only we take notice.

Hope everyone had a great week/weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I have a photo of my cat doing the same thing!. Any time she sees an open drawer she shoots into it fast...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! cats and sunsets (I do the same thing!) and plants! good job on the venison :) it was great to see you today and definitely made me feel less alone in the sea of towson students. stay safe in the snow tonight and tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cat is too cute! I always try to get photos of sunsets while driving too--the way they come out never does them justice, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitty is so sweet and your seedlings make me so hopeful for Spring! : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...