3.05.2011

A side of Broccoli Rabe please!


I saw this recipe on Tyler's Ultimate on the Food Network. Tyler Florence, the talented chef and TV host, was making the Ultimate Lasagna. And to pair with this delicious tomatoey, cheesy, pasta casserole, Mr. Florence prepared some broccoli rabe. Just a touch of olive oil, some garlic, and salt and pepper is really all you need to make this delicious veggie delightful.


I was too lazy to make the full-fledged lasagna, but the broccoli rabe is super quick and easy - perfect for a weeknight dinner! And it's a great accompaniment to any Italian dish - eggplant or chicken parmesan, pasta, baked ziti, spaghetti and meatballs, and on and on.

For the original recipe, visit the Food Network site here. I made a few real slight adaptations (more garlic!) to the recipe included below! And, as you'll see from my photos, I simply smashed the garlic, rather than mincing it. I would definitely recommend mincing, as the recipe calls for. The garlic is so delicious with the broccoli rabe and you'll want that flavor clinging to the ingredients all throughout.




Sauteed Garlic Broccoli Rabe


Ingredients

  • 2 pounds broccoli rabe
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Zest of 1/2 lemon 

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the broccoli rabe in the water for 3 to 5 minutes until tender and bright green. Drain the broccoli rabe and set aside.
2. In a large saute pan, heat about 2 Tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and pepper flakes, then the broccoli rabe. Season with salt and pepper, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Gently toss and add lemon zest, and season more to taste. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura-Thanks for you kind comment on my blog. I'm so glad that I found your blog, love it, and I'm following it!
    Tyler Florence is my all time favorite TV chef. He has such amazing recipes, from the South, and from Italy, as well. Your broccoli rabe look so vivid, colorful, and so delicious. I love broccoli rabe, and "simple" is the key to making this lovely side vegetable.
    Beautiful side dish, with the yummy pasta, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fresh bright vegetable dishes like this - I'll be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...