10.24.2011

Herbed Spaghetti Squash


Spaghetti squash is something my mother and I first tried on an unusual whim (unusual for her more so than me being the adventurous veggie-lover that I am) one day while grocery shopping a few years ago. Though it doesn't look like anything special from the outside, once this unique squash is cooked, its flesh breaks apart in such a way that truly resembles spaghetti noodles. Though the taste of spaghetti squash is mild as is the case most squash, it is the perfect edible vehicle for tons of herbs and spices.

Most spaghetti squash recipes are fairly basic because, the more you fuss with it, the more you mask those spaghetti-like qualities that make this such an endearing novelty food. I wanted to do something simple with the spaghetti squash I had on hand and was searching recipes online to determine how long I'd need to cook my squash. Emeril's recipe for Herbed Spaghetti Squash worked wonderfully for me.

I simply sliced the squash in half lengthwise (a good and sharp chef knife does the trick much better than I imagined!), put it in a pan with a bit of water, and cooked it for about an hour. Then you remove the seeds and pull out all the delicious edible flesh, which falls out of the peel like perfectly cooked ribs do from the bone into spaghetti-like strands. I popped the squash into a saute pan with butter and the last of the season's herbs, and had a meal prepared in no time. How simple is that?

For Emeril's fool-proof recipe, click here. And to admire my lovely and delightful squash dish, simply scroll down to the photos below!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...