7.16.2011

Mint Tea from Fresh Mint Leaves

Mint is one of those herbs that truly proliferates once it's planted in the garden. Most herb gardeners harvest more of the stuff than they could ever possibly use and often have trouble ridding their garden of mint (and its pungent lingering aroma) come the next growing season.


While browsing a stand at a local farmer's market, one of the sellers was giving away mint for free - anything to get all the excess off their hands! I gladly took some home for myself at no cost whatsoever, and tried to think of the best way to use this aromatic and unique herb. I've never really favored mint in savory dishes but I only like a touch of it in my desserts. Then I thought about one of my very favorite pleasures - lemon mint tea. With so much fresh mint on hand, I realized that I could make batches and batches of the stuff in my own kitchen.

A quick Google search yielded plenty of recipes for fresh mint tea, all of which were essentially the same. Boil water with mint leaves in it, strain and sweeten, then serve. As simple as this recipe is, I figured I truly had nothing to lose in giving it a shot. Few of the sites were too specific on measurements so I put two cups on to boil and added about half a handful of mint, which created a pleasingly potent mint tea. Once my tea kettle started screaming, I just strained out the mint and added a little honey to the mint-infused tea water.


I started with just water and mint but you could definitely add other layers of flavor. I plan on experimenting with slices of fresh lemon as soon as I can get my hands on some, and the various spices and aromatics I've got stored in my tea pantry (rose hips, lavender, and echinacea in particular) will also be tested out with the mint in a variety of tea variations!

Have you ever made tea with fresh herbs before? What are some of your favorite flavors and combinations?

8 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm not a huge fan of warm mint team but I love lemon and mint in iced tea or mint in icey lemonade! I can't think of a lot to do with mint, we used to grow it in our garden but had to dig it up because it over took the flower bed!x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never Drink Mint tea in my whole life and also not made tea with the Fresh herbs in past but wants to made tea with fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to drink mint tea. But my favourite one is Lemon Mint Iced Tea. I like this tea very much. Its taste is awesome. It is mind blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mint tea is one of the best tea for health, Which is improve memory power. It such a great lemon mint iced tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mint tea is my one of the favorite tea. It such an excellent tea and also very testy. I attract by that. It such a healthy tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mint tea is very healthy tea. I always drink it and it such a very informative and useful for reduce weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mint tea is my one of the favourite tea. I like to drink it and it such an testy and best tea. There are so many Powers in the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mint tea is very beneficial to health. It taste is superb. I like its taste. It is very delicious and helps to change mood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...