1.21.2011

Chai Latte Brownies


Brownies and chai tea. Two of my very favorite indulgences. Why not blend them into one? Granted, it wasn't originally my idea (that honor belongs to Cooking Light magazine), but I was wise enough to give them a shot and I think you should try them out too.

This batch of brownies isn't overly brimming with chai flavor - it's more subtle than you might expect. Think of these as the Mexican hot chocolate of brownies. But they have a unique flavor profile that makes them a bit different from your everyday brownie. A hint of cinnamon, a touch of spice, and all the warmth and cardamom-y fullness you can expect from a steaming mug of chai.

These brownies are best served hot and sticky with a cold glass of milk... but they're delicious no matter how you chose to enjoy them!

Chai Latta Brownies 
recipe adapted from Cooking Light magazine

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup fat-free milk
  • 3 cardamom pods, crushed
  • 3 whole allspice, crushed
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 /2 tsp salt
  • Cooking spray

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degees. Prepare a 9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine milk, crushed cardamom pods, crushed allspice, cloves, and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
3. Strain milk into a microwave safe bowl being sure to discard any pieces of the aromatics that may find their way into the bowl. Add chocolate chips and butter, and microwave for 20 second intervals until chocolate and butter melt. Stir to combine.
4. Along mixture to slightly cool, then add eggs, stirring to combine.
5. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to fully mix all dry ingredients. Add dry ingredient mixture to wet, stirring until just combined. (This makes a really sticky dough - I adapted the recipe to include more milk in order to decrease stickiness but it should still be a bit gooey.)
6. Spread batter evenly in prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees fro 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack fro 10 minutes. Enjoy!


17 comments:

  1. OMG these sound incredible. I want one immediately!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, btw I went to the site and read the reviews.. Did u have any problems w/there not being enough liquid? Also, if we can't find those spices in the whole form, what measurements would we use? (if ground form is only available?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had a craving for brownies and adding chai.. Chai is one of my favorite beverages. If only I could bake.. looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my. you, my friend, are a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Laura. You are after my own heart! Chai Latte is my favorite...I can't even imagine in a brownie! Holy cow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the feedback - these are delicious and definitely worth a try!

    Kalei's Best Friend: I didn't think there was quite enough liquid when I made them (originally the recipe called for 1/4 cup of milk) so I doubled the milk to 1/2 cup in my recipe. And if you're going to use ground spices, I would say go with 2 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp allspice and cloves, and 3 tsp cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh.my. i just finished a chai latte about thirty minutes ago. these look delicious! i have never heard of this recipe before and i must try it!
    thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowwwww what a creative recipe!!!!! good job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello little sparrow,
    this is a bit of a nifty space you've got here!
    I enjoy the photo-goodness you have on display!
    Happy blogging you! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm...I love the chai spices- these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and chai. I once tried that combo in a cookie and it was fantastic, but I'll definitely have to try it in brownie form. Yours look delicious. I have a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. You're a lifesaver. I have a work breakfast/birthday thing coming up this week where I have to bring in something yummy. If you know me, you'd know that I don't go anywhere without my cup of Chocolate Chai. This will be the perfect thing to bring to the office. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This brownie looks so moist and chocolaty!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good Luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find it interesting how you basically make your own tea in the process of making the brownies. I'm think I may be intrigued enough to have to try this =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for coming by and linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I truly appreciate your support. Hope that you'll be able to join in again next week. By then, I'll have a cute button that you can grab and add to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my!

    x
    Alexandra

    www.alexandragrecco.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...