4.11.2011

Weekend Review in Photos and Movies

Sorry this week's post is a bit skimpy on photos. I've been pretty busy with schoolwork, wedding planning, movie-going, and Mike's comedy shows. But here are a couple photos I've taken in the past week and some movie recommendations too!

I tried to recreate a delicious Butternut Squash Ravioli dinner that Mike had a few months ago when we went out for my sister's birthday. I added some sweet potatoes to the mix and made a delicious brown butter sauce for the perfect comforting meal.


My prized grocery purchase: heirloom tomatoes. These guys were just amazing. Flavorful, juicy, and colorful. I can't wait for the summer harvest of tomatoes in my own backyard!


Mike and I went to see Win-Win on Saturday night and were extremely pleased. The film stars Paul Giamatti as a Mike Flaherty, a law counselor with a struggling practice and wrestling coach for the local high school squad. He takes on guardianship of his elderly client Leo to earn extra income, but finds himself entangled in family drama when a teenager arrives at Leo's doorstep claiming to be his grandson. Mike and his wife Jackie, portrayed by Amy Ryan, welcome Leo's grandson Kyle into their home and that's all I'll give away for now. The movie was superbly-acted and the story was well-told. Funny and sweet without being overly cheesy, Win Win is ultimately a feel-good family drama that would best be lumped under the independent film umbrella.



We also watched I Love You Phillip Morris on Sunday morning. Based on the amazing true story about Stephen Russell, a closeted gay man until a near-death accident forces him to re-evaluate his life and come out of the closet. In an effort to sustain his newfound expensive homosexual lifestyle, Russell, played by the always talented Jim Carrey, becomes a con-artist of sorts, devising brilliant schemes to make cash fast. After his illegal activities land him in jail, Russell meets Phillip Morris, played by Ewan McGregor, a sweet-natured and soft-spoken gay man who found himself incarcerated for failing to return a rental car on time. The two fall in love and Russell goes to great lengths to keep himself and Morris together, both while in jail and once they've been released. Ultimately the film is a love story as Russell's desire to do well for Morris drives every deceptive, criminal, and/or devious scheme. I Love You Phillip Morris tells the unbelievable true story of Stephen Russell in a highly entertaining movie that I definitely recommend.



Hope everyone had a splendid weekend!

5 comments:

  1. The ravioli looks delicious! Where did u find such a nice tomato?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a nearby natural market that carries local produce so I got some great early-season heirlooms. That's also where I got the ravioli which was absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy, do you have a recipe for that ravioli??

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ravioli was store-bought but the sauce was pretty simple. Just warm 3-4 tbsp of butter over medium heat until it starts to brown (about 7-8 minutes), then add about 2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp brown sugar. I pan-fried the sweet potatoes in the butter sauce then put it all together when the ravioli was done cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so delicious! And I've heard Win Win was so good--I'll have to see it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...