10.22.2010

Provencal Chicken

                              
I've had this recipe for a Provencal Chicken from some long lost cooking magazine for a long time now. I love red onion and black olives and don't use them nearly enough in my cooking, so when I came across this more traditional dish, I decided to finally go ahead and embrace the sweet red onion and salty black olive alongside my chicken.

Bursting with flavor, you really can't beat this meal. Great on its own, with some bread for dipping, or overtop some pasta, the Provencal sauce is bright and delicious, and can be paired with nearly anything, so don't feel confined by the chicken.

Provencal Chicken
                           
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 chicken breasts, room temperature
  • 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced in half
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup cooking liquid (water or broth will do though I used the liquid used for packing roasted red peppers)
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, if desired        

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat.
2. Season defrosted chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place seasoned-side-down in oil.
3. After about 3 minutes, add red onion and season with more salt and pepper.
4. Once onions are golden brown and chicken is no longer sticking (about 7-8 minutes total), flip chicken breasts and add garlic.
5. Wait another 2 minutes, then add olives, tomatoes, and cooking liquid.
6. Remove from heat once chicken is cooked through and some of the liquid has evaporated, about another 5 minutes.
7. Add basil leaves and sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Enjoy!

                               

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I saw the pic the first thing that came to mind was breaking off a piece of french baquette and diving right in. Looks scrumptious. I am a huge lover of olives and red onion. I have a chicken defrosting for tomorrows dinner. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...