Adding hoisin to the seasonings found in my favorite chili recipe, this Black Bean Chicken Chili with Hoisin Sauce pairs perfectly with barley and Monterey Jack cheese.
Black Bean Chicken Chili with Hoisin Sauce
1 cup barley
3 cups water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 chicken breasts
2 Tsp cumin
2 Tsp oregano
4 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tsp salt
2 cups tomatoes (fresh or canned), diced
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 bay leaves
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, optional
1. Heat three cups of water until boiling. Add barley once water reaches a boil. Set timer for 25-30 min. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Once water has been absorbed and barley is ready, remove from heat.
2. Over medium high heat, heat oil in large soup pot. Add onion, cook until tender and slightly translucent.
3. Once onions are done, add chicken breasts. Season with cumin, oregano, chili powder, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and salt. Allow chicken to cook through.
4. Once chicken has been cooked on both sides, add tomatoes, broth, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer.
5. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and let rest. Once cool enough to handle, dice chicken into bite-size pieces.
6. Add chopped chicken back into chili and add beans. Allow to simmer another 5 minutes, then remove bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve chili over barley. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.