7.28.2010

Collaging

I love collages. Taking items, patterns, images, and colors that inspire me and piecing them together in new ways to create an entirely new work of art is one of my favorite pastimes. Most of the time when I create things, however, I need for them to be functional or serve some purpose, so I generally make my collages into cards. Here are a few of my favorites that I've made over the years.

A Thank You card featuring artwork from a Long Blondes album and an ad for Lost Highway Records.

This card was the product of various advertisements for I don't even remember what. I do remember having great difficulty finding something to put beneath the candles in the trees as there were elephants beneath them in the original ad. I must say, I quite like the way it ultimately turned out.

When I was in college, a local antique store was going out of business and I purchased a bunch of vintage photographs for an absurdly low price. This was before my collaging-phase and it was a few years later when I finally figured out what to do with all these one-of-a-kind images. Most of them feature the woman on this card, some socialite I imagine as she's always draped in furs, wearing lots of jewelry, and is photographed in front of a hole host of large mansions and interesting sights. I find the mystery behind the photograph to be much of the charm of this card.

I've always loved the quote "Live every day from the crack of dawn until you can't keep your eyes open any longer" and wanted to feature it on a card. I found an ad for something or other with these perfectly placed sheep and something about counting sheep and no longer being able to open your eyes made sense in my head and led to this quirky card.

All of these cards can be purchased at my Etsy shop and, if something is out of stock, don't hesitate to message me and request a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...