Kale chips are all the rage right now and, lover of vegetables that I am, I thought it was about time to give them a try. They're not only super easy to make but also plenty good for you!
Often compared to a potato chip, the kale chip is best when at it's saltiest but is a lot less substantial than a potato chip. I'm not crazy about chips in general, but I am a sucker for warm salty snacks (think piping hot french fries). And salt is really key to this dish - as soon as you bring the sizzling baked kale out of the oven, sprinkle a liberal amount of salt overtop for maximum flavor, otherwise your chips will taste like exactly what they are - baked greens.
It is important to keep a close eye on these guys in the oven. You don't want them to be too green and moist when you take them out of the oven, because their texture will be all wrong. But an overly-done kale chip will leave a bitter burnt taste in your mouth that is not pleasurable either. Though it's hard to ensure that each and every kale chip on your baking sheet will turn out just right, a little bit of delicious dipping sauce can hide all manner of baking sins and inconsistencies.
So here's my recipe for kale chips (which is pretty much the same as any recipe you'll find for these guys on any website - the process is pretty universal) and a sweet and tangy mustard dipping sauce to go alongside!
- 1 bunch kale leaves
- Olive oil (I used between 1 and 2 Tbsp per baking sheet)
- Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare baking sheet with non-stick silpat or nonstick cooking spray.
3. Tear kale leaves into bite-sized pieces. Be sure to remove the thick stem and use only the thin leaves.
4. Spread a single layer of kale leaves on your baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, being sure to keep a close eye on the kale chips around the 10 minute mark. You want your chips to be crispy and golden but not too dark green.
6. Sprinkle generously with salt upon removing the chips from the oven. Serve with a delicious dip or snack on the chips by themselves. Enjoy!
Sweet and Tangy Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine first four ingredients, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy alongside kale chips, crackers, crudites, or whatever else you can think up. Enjoy!